Effective January 2014, the Blog-Zine is cosed to new posts and is going dark. The blog and its archives will stay "up," though, so please feel free to peruse the archives and discover all of the great books, authors, articles, and other features that have joined me here over the years. Thanks to all who helped make my Blog-Zine adventure a raging success! Read on!

01 October, 2012

Taking 'The First Step' with CandaceK

Several years ago now I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Candace K. At the time, we were pow-wowing over an editorial project and I remember thinking that she was very down-to-earth and genuine. I had no idea that there was more to CandaceK than the fabulous editorial work that she does. I still think she's down-to-earth and genuine, but now I know that the woman can blow, too! So you know I had to get her to join us on the Blog-Zine for a chat, right?

If the essential question is, "Who is Candace K?" then the answers are right here! Do your music-loving self a favor and check out my interview with Candace K...


1. Tell us a little about yourself. Where are you from, what’s your personal background, etc.? I’m originally from West Virginia, but I've lived in several different places, including New York and D.C. Both my parents are musicians (my mother plays the drums and my father plays guitar and is an excellent songwriter). I started writing songs pretty much as soon as I could speak. I still have a cassette of my grandpa and me performing a “radio show” when I was two years old. Granted, my songs were pretty basic back then (topics included strawberries, chocolate milk, and other delicacies), but you see where I'm going with this.
2. Who first told you that you could sing and what was your reaction? I honestly don’t remember. I just know that at home, it was always encouraged. In fifth grade I performed a concert for my neighborhood, so either someone had told me I could sing at that point, or I was just happy in my own knowledge. From then on, I studied female singers like Taylor Dayne and groups like Expose and the B52’s. I think that’s where my obsession with harmonies started.
3. If you could sing a duet with anyone you choose, who would it be and why? I would say Dinah Washington or Aretha Franklin on the female side. On the male side, I’d go with Stevie Wonder. I have always secretly considered myself the fourth member of SWV and an affiliate of the Wu-Tang Clan, so those would be only natural collaborations as well. (Hi, RZA!)
4. What people, places and/or things inspire your music? So many things. Music inspires me, of course—everyone from Bessie Smith to Pink Floyd, to Whitney Houston to En Vogue. They all inspire me in different ways. As far as writing goes, what inspires my songs is purely life. Sometimes I’ll come across a beat that connects to a certain mood or emotion, and the song comes to life. Other times, I’ll just start singing an acapella idea, and it will take form that way.
5. How would you classify your music (R&B, Rap, Blues, Hip-Hop, Pop, etc.) and why? This is always a hard one for me, because it really depends on the song. I take pieces of all the genres I love, and it becomes this new thing. My engineer/Zen Master, Timothy “Septembers1st” Williams, calls it “JazzySoulFunkRhythmPopBlues.” I think that sums it up.
6. What are your thoughts about the music on the radio today? How does your music either fit in with it or set itself apart from it? I honestly don’t listen to the radio much, so it’s safe to say that I set myself apart by just doing what I feel and making music that I love. It’s the icing on the cake that it resonates with so many people and that they dig it. I always say, I never try to be different; I just “be myself,” and that makes me different by default. I am blessed and thankful to work with the people I work with. They get me, and that’s half the battle.
7. Aside from your music, what are some of your other hobbies or interests? If singing/ songwriting is my Superman, then being a full-time web developer is my Clark Kent. I also edit fiction, design book covers, and do typesetting on the side. Additionally, I've recently rekindled my romance with photography. Oh, and if I have an addiction other than music, it’s definitely books.
8. What’s up next for you? What projects (CDs, singles, appearances, etc.) can we expect from you in the future? Now the The First Step is complete (see what I did there?), I am currently working on two EPs, one of which is a Jazz-Hop effort with Brooklyn Beatz. I’m also working on my full-length album, which will hopefully be released in February. I’m also doing several collabs with other producers, emcees, and musicians in the middle of it all! Suffice it to say that there’s a lot of music on the way!
9. How/where can we learn more about you and your music, and where can we find you online? Check me out on Soundcloud and YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and, of course, my Official Website.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait to see what CandaceK musically gifts us with next! In the meantime, though, click HERE to download The First Step (it's free, so what are you waiting for?) and have a listen! Trust me, CandaceK truly IS The1! Your ears can come back here to the Blog-Zine and thank me later...

No comments: