Effective January 2014, the Blog-Zine is cosed to new posts and is going dark. The blog and its archives will stay "up," though, so please feel free to peruse the archives and discover all of the great books, authors, articles, and other features that have joined me here over the years. Thanks to all who helped make my Blog-Zine adventure a raging success! Read on!

12 October, 2012

Dog-Ma: the Zen of Slobber by Barbara Brunner


I jumped at the chance to host Dog-Ma: the Zen of Slobber by Barbara Brunner here on the Blog-Zine because I thought the concept of a book dedicated to honoring the powerful role of dogs in our lives - as pets, family members, and friends - was extremely intriguing.

Consequently, I still do!

The way Barbara tells it: "Over the course of thirty-two years, seventeen relocations and nine dogs, [her and her husband's] mutual love of dogs guided them on an unconventional path and the love that they got in return was literally lifesaving. At the same time, Barbara's own survival story underscores the story of how her dogs became survivors themselves. Each new dog added its own dynamic to the family, sometimes upending it. From Turbo (whose Spock-like ears may have provided super powers), Barbara learned about the will to live; Lexington demonstrated incredible patience and an inexplicable love of golf; Madison taught her that laughter is truly the best medicine and that the whole "nine lives thing" is not reserved just for cats; Morgan should be sainted for tolerating Izzy, who is as cute as she is bad. Barbara is certain that somewhere in doggie heaven there is a poster that says "If you are sick, injured or in need of really expensive medical care, FIND THESE HUMANS!"

Don't you just love it? I am so looking forward to picking up a copy of this book, which, I might add, seems to be somewhat of a sign. More and more, I've been thinking of adopting a fur-baby for myself. Ever since my sister moved away and took my fur-niece Missy with her, I've been missing my fur-niece terribly. I do feel a little guilty when I text or call my sister and ask how Missy is, and my sister always has to say, "Oh, and we're fine, too." But what can I say?

It's all about Dog-Ma: the Zen of Slobber! After reading an excerpt from the book, you'll see what I mean. Check it out... 
---------------------------------------------------------------
                        Super Cooper, Super Hero

In early 2007, Cooper started jumping up onto my chest and bouncing off, as though to say “tag, you’re it.” It was odd and something he had never done before. I thought he just wanted nose kisses and patted him on the head. Every day after work, he ran to greet me and did the same thing again; jumped onto my chest in the same spot and bounced off. This was not a fun game of tag!  His jumping continued until I had a bruise the size of a silver dollar. My goodness, his aim was accurate--he kept hitting the same darn spot. I explained to him that was not a proper greeting, but since his language skills were lacking, he probably just heard “lalalalalala.” I tried to get him to stop.  It was not like him to disobey a command but he was relentless.

After a few weeks of this, I noticed a small lump had formed under the bruised area and had my doctor check it out. She said it was nothing to worry about. It was probably just a cyst that formed from the impact of Cooper’s jump and suggested we schedule an outpatient procedure to remove it just to eliminate any concern if it showed up on a future mammogram.
   
On the day of surgery, Cooper jumped again, this time with Ray watching. He corrected Cooper and made him sit.  Cooper seemed frustrated.

We weren’t worried about the surgery, being told it was a fairly routine operation. The surgeon came into the prep area, introduced himself and explained what he would be doing. He would make just a small incision and pop out the cyst, quick and easy. I would be in recovery in less than fifteen minutes. I was whisked off to the operating room and when I got the first dose of anesthesia I was asleep instantly. “OUCH,” I heard myself mumbling. “That hurt.” I heard a rustle in the room and the doctor saying, “Oh my god, what is that?” and I drifted off again into a haze of more anesthesia.

Two hours later I was waking up in the recovery room. The surgeon came to tell me what he had found. Ray already knew. Under the cyst that Cooper had created from his jumping was a three-centimeter tumor far back against my chest wall. It could not be felt and did not show up in the mammogram I had just six months earlier. I had breast cancer, Stage 3. It was invasive; it was a high-grade tumor—it was bad.
 
Ray and I were in shock. We wanted to know more. How long had the tumor been there? Had it spread? We needed information. We went home and I was greeted by Cooper who gently nudged me. He never jumped up on me again. Ever. He must have sensed or smelled the cancer and jumping was the only way he could express his warning. Had the cancer gone undetected much longer, I could have been Stage 4, incurable cancer.

Cooper saved my life.
-----------------------------------------------------

Hooked yet? I know I am! For more information about Barbara Brunner and Dog-Ma: the Zen of Slobber, visit Barbara's official website or her blog. Also, be sure to continue following Barbara's Virtual Book Tour for more great excerpts, interviews, guest blogs, and chances to win your very own digital copy of Dog-Ma: the Zen of Slobber!

In fact, I have a copy of Dog-Ma: the Zen of Slobber to give away here on the Blog-Zine and the sooner I get rid of it, the better. Otherwise, I might be tempted... Sooooo, let's just say that the first person to post a comment describing a great thing that your pet has done for you in reply to this feature will put me out of my misery and win it for themselves!

Thanks, Barbara, for the just the nudge I needed! Click HERE or on the banner below to view the tour schedule.


2 comments:

Scott Bennett said...

Terra .. Thanks for a wonderful review for my friend Barbara Brunner #Dog-Ma, The Zen of Slobber. I couldn't put the book down when I received it .. done in 2 days. And Super Cooper, Super Hero is one of my favorite stories.

Terra Little said...

Hi Scott!

Thanks for commenting. Too bad you already have a copy of the book, or else you'd be a winner, LOL! I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to stick with Cooper being the fave!

~Terra