Effective January 2014, the Blog-Zine is cosed to new posts and is going dark. The blog and its archives will stay "up," though, so please feel free to peruse the archives and discover all of the great books, authors, articles, and other features that have joined me here over the years. Thanks to all who helped make my Blog-Zine adventure a raging success! Read on!

14 October, 2009

Banned from Vegas: Separated at Birth



Have you ever been totally immersed in a story and suddenly come across a passage that gives you an eerie feeling of déjà vu? You stop and think to yourself, how does he know about that? And sometimes, you re-read it, just to confirm your suspicions. Then, you continue, only to find yourself waiting for the next hint, the next clue.

Oh, so it’s just me?

I found myself in that predicament several times while reading most of Stephen King’s early works. Don’t get it twisted. I was empathizing with one of his characters, living his or her ordinary life, when suddenly all hell would break loose. I have lost count of those moments, but somewhere down the line I’ve convinced myself that we—Stephen and I—are related. There was no other way he could write those realistic, gut wrenching, have me looking over my shoulder scenes if he hadn’t seeped into my head. Right? We had a connection.

Okay, now I’m scaring me!

I mean, how could a Black grandmother from New York, California, and finally, Georgia, be related to Mr. Stephen King?

Let’s go to the next case.

After Ace of Hearts was released, I began to hear folks compare Shevaughn, the heroine in the Deck of Cardz Series, to Alex Cross, the hero in James Patterson’s acclaimed mystery series.
Though, admittedly, Alex Cross could teach Shevaughn a thing or two.

I had read a couple of James Patterson’s early works, too. He was my method man. If I thought of an unusual way to eliminate a character, he’d come up with the same method. I stopped reading him in fear of subconsciously plagiarizing him. Then “The Women’s Club” came on and all my fears came true. Each week, he would eliminate another way for me to eliminate.

It got downright spooky. Triplets?

So, you tell me. Do you think it’s possible that we could be triplets, from another mother and father, overlooking ethnicities and gender, with some sort of eerie mysterious connection?

About Black Jack...

Black Jack is the sequel to Jean Holloway's acclaimed debut novel, Ace of Hearts. Buckle up and follow Shevaughn as she moves closer to solving the murder of a lonely widow, unknowingly rekindling old grudges and awakening a sinister spirit. Get ready, because it’s going to be a bumpy ride.

About Jean Holloway:

Jean Holloway, author of thrillers—books from her Deck of Cardz series—a fiction detective storyline following the career of a female lead homicide detective, Shevaughn Robinson. Ace of Hearts and Black Jack are currently available online and by request at your local bookstores.

Visit Deck of Cardz to learn more about Jean Holloway and her work. There, you can download the Black Jack eBook, read the synopsis, watch the book trailer - Black Jack…Wanna Play? -and more.

Banned from Vegas with Jean Holloway, is a virtual book tour organized by Nia Promotions, a marketing company that assists authors and publishers with using web-based marketing strategies to market and promote books online.


Book Giveaway:

Win a copy of Ace of Hearts by Jean Holloway! One lucky commenter here on the Official Blog-Zine of Author Terra Little will win a copy of Jean’s debut novel. All you have to do is show Jean some love by commenting on this post and letting her know that you stopped by to visit, and you'll be entered into a drawing to win! Deadline for comments is 12:00 pm EST October 14, 2009.







For more details and to enter to win one of the Reader Prizes click HERE to visit the event site!

6 comments:

Jean Holloway said...

Mornin' Terra,
Thanks for having me.
Peace,
Jean

jvernitad1 said...

I think Jean Holloway is a great mystery thriller actor I can not wait to read her books she seem so personal as a writer answering each question and coming back and responding to all readers.

Terra Little said...

@ Jean - Thanks for stopping by the Blog-Zine during your VBT! Always happy to have you!

@ jvernitad1 - Thanks for checking out Jean Holloway's stop here on the Blog-Zine! I, too, like interacting with authors whose books I've read or am planning to read. It really enriches the reading experience.

Jean Holloway said...

Joyce?? LOL
Thanks for the compliments. I do love the interaction.

Dana said...

Terra, thank you for hosting us today. Have a wonderful week.

Terra Little said...

@ Dana - You and Jean are most welcome!

@ jvernitad1 - Looks like you win a copy of Jean Holloway's debut novel, Ace of Hearts! Please forward me your name, mailing address (including zip code), and your email address ASAP, so we can get that copy to you ASAP! After you read it, you'll be ready to go out and pick up the sequel - "Black Jack". Send your info to me at writeterralittle[at]yahoo.com. Thanks!