Effective January 2014, the Blog-Zine is cosed to new posts and is going dark. The blog and its archives will stay "up," though, so please feel free to peruse the archives and discover all of the great books, authors, articles, and other features that have joined me here over the years. Thanks to all who helped make my Blog-Zine adventure a raging success! Read on!

21 July, 2008

Let's Kick Off "The Passing Series"...ummkay?

There's more than one way to pass...

Ha! Got you, didn't I? You thought I was getting ready to kick off a series about some misguided African-American person who passes/passed/wants to pass as something other than African-American, didn't you? Well, you're wrong and if you could see me right now, you'd see me with my thumbs stuck in my ears, my fingers wriggling and my tongue poking out from between my lips. I happen to love myself, so let's keep it moving, shall we?

What I mean when I refer to the phenomenon of "passing" is the passing along of information. In this case, the passing along of information about publishing. Specifically, self-publishing. I chose not to file this series under my wildly successful series, "Chronicles of a Lesser-Known Writer", because I think it deserves its own title and, as you follow along with the series, you'll see why.

Every few days or so, "The Passing Series" will mosey along, dropping an informational installment on the topic of self-publishing here on my blog for you to check out. Now this series might not be too relevant for your more successful writers/authors, but, as a Lesser-Known Writer, I can attest to the fact that the information I'm about to pass along was damn helpful when I was making my way along the self-publishing path for the first time, a few years back.

I was reaching out all over the net, seeking input and advice from established authors and other industry folks. But people are busy, so sometimes responses were few and far between. I did, however, manage to receive some clarification about self-publishing from an author who took pity on me and responded to my emails, and a lot of what was shared with me, I'll share with you. Here.

Along the way, I picked up additional information from various manuals, books and websites. Who here ain't never heard of Dan Poynter and John Kremer? That's what I thought. But you know, folks, sometimes money is funny and we can't always get our hands on the self-publishing books and manuals we need, right when we need them. Go ahead and buy the books if you can. But if you can't, or you just like stopping by my blog every now and again, here's what you do...

Check out The Official Blog-Zine of Author Terra Little on the regular for the lastest installment of (I'm going to stop using quotation marks and just bold the title from here on out) The Passing Series.

I'm passing along information about self-publishing for all you folks out there who want to know what's what, as you consider whether to self-publish. Hopefully, I can help someone the way someone once helped me. And the fact of the matter is, here lately, someone is always helping a sista in some way, so giving back ain't all that hard to do. Except, I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached, so if I slip in posting (which I don't plan on doing, but still), feel free to send me a shout-out and get me together, ummkay?

Oh, and all I ask in return is that you at least consider visiting Mercy, Georgia during your upcoming vacation. Pick up a copy of Running from Mercy, because a sista ain't hardly above pity sales, ummkay?

Stay tuned, folks. Part one of The Passing Series is coming right up. Send all of the aspiring writers you know who are contemplating self-publishing over here to hang out with me, too. Because this ain't over...

No comments: