Effective January 2014, the Blog-Zine is cosed to new posts and is going dark. The blog and its archives will stay "up," though, so please feel free to peruse the archives and discover all of the great books, authors, articles, and other features that have joined me here over the years. Thanks to all who helped make my Blog-Zine adventure a raging success! Read on!

31 July, 2008

Chronicles of a Lesser-Known Writer: Part VII - A Moment With Author Anya Nicole

At what age did you first know you wanted to be a writer? I’ve known I wanted to be a writer since I was about eight years old. I won a poetry contest for Motts Applesauce. My mother still has the certificate on the wall in her bedroom.

What inspired you to write your first novel? I’ve started and stopped writing so many times. On this one occasion, I was at work and I was sitting at my computer just staring at the screen. I kept saying to myself, “I hate my job.” I knew I had to make a move and do something that I enjoyed and could see myself doing for the rest of my life. So I started writing while I was at work and the story flowed. It took me five months to finish Corporate Corner Boyz.

Corporate Corner Boyz is a unique book title. How did you come up with it? Well, all of my male friends are reformed hustlers (funny, I know). One of my friends in particular, was shot at the age of sixteen while guarding a crack house. He got himself together after that and found a job. He even went on to attend college and he graduated with a BBA. He turned his street hustle into a legal one. He still has that hustle mentality and he’s doing the right things in life. I just felt like it was time to let the brothers from the hood, who made something of themselves, shine and acknowledge that coming from the hood does have its advantages; you’re able to see the world from both sides of the tracks.

Is there a message for readers in your novel? Yes, in everything you do there’s a hustle. And not all hustles are illegal.

If you had to choose, which writer would you say inspired you the most? I want to say that the writer that inspired me the most would be Karen E. Quinones Miller. She’s helped me grow a thick skin and made me realize that not everyone is going to like your work. She has helped me a lot in my venture to get published and I thank her every time I get a chance.

What are you reading now and how would you rate it? I’m currently reading You, Me, and He by Brook Green. It’s a very fast, intriguing read. I would definitely give it five stars. This is Ms. Green’s first novel and I commend her for doing such a wonderful job.

Any new/upcoming projects readers should know about? I’m sworn to secrecy (Smile).

How does your family and/or friends feel about your book or writing venture in general? When I told a couple of people that I was writing a book, they thought I was crazy. There was no way some girl from the hood could write a book and get published, is what one of my family members told me. I had one friend in particular who was very supportive of my writing and her name is Celeste. She would call me everyday and ask me how things were going.

Anything else readers should know about Anya Nicole? I daydream a lot; I remember walking to work from the subway every morning and all I could think about was the day that my book would be in stores and on shelves for people to read all over the country. I wasn’t even finished with my manuscript yet.

Give us a sneak peek into Corporate Corner Boyz. Christopher Black, a.k.a. Chief, is feared in the hood of North Philadelphia and known as a vicious hustler who will step on any man who gets in the way of his cash flow. Brandon, his right hand man, is an Ivy League graduate who left the project mentality behind for fast cars, fast women, and Armani suits.

Together they form Indigo Records, a lucrative recording company that goes from lukewarm to hot in a matter of a year, by serving platinum artists from around the country. Chief and Brandon's friendship is simple; Chris watches Brandon's back in the streets and Brandon watches Chris's in the boardroom.

But things begin to unravel when Brandon meets Mia, a top model from the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose beauty has graced the covers of many a glamour magazine. Keeping Mia on his arm becomes an expensive endeavor for Brandon, leaving him with an almost non-existent bank account and a condo in foreclosure. Vows of friendship are tested when the streets, sex, and greed force the long-time friends to choose between success and loyalty.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out Anya Nicole's debut novel "Corporate Corner Boyz" and be sure to let her know your thoughts. It's available online & in stores everywhere NOW! Visit Anya online at http://www.myspace.com/anyalindsey!

No comments: